Version 5.0.5 is available for download from the App Store. With this update, the iPhone version of Notebooks gets full support for the new iPhone 5 and the iPod touch 5th gen.
What’s New and Changed in 5.0.5?
- In the previous update we tried to bring Notebooks’ editing gestures more in line with the iOS’ default gestures (see Entering Text and Editing Text in the iPhone/iPad user guide). This means that touch and hold no longer activates the keyboard but instead shows the magnifying glass and selection buttons. This change in Notebooks seems to have irritated many users, which of course was never our intention.
We have tried to fine tune these gestures in NB 5.0.5 and hope that this makes Notebooks more user friendly.
Support for iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5G – Notebooks now uses the whole screen space available on the new devices.
This is what we thought. In fact, there is an issue when using this version of NB on the iPhone 5 (details in the comments below). A fix is on its way.
- This update finally fixes the “Unable to start Recording” issue.
- 5.0.5 also fixes the issue regarding the sticky unlock screen.
- We made changes to Notebooks’ “Default Theme” with the intention to make it more like a general purpose theme (many users disliked the previous version’s indented paragraphs).
The modified theme no longer indents paragraphs and adds less space between list items.
Those of you who prefer the indented paragraphs have now to options:
- You can use the new Novel theme, which indents paragraphs and provides a layout similar to a printed novel.
- Alternatively, you can download the previous version of the Default Theme from this site and add it as a custom theme to Notebooks.
- More fixes and corrections
iOS 6 Compatibility – One Issue Still Remains
NB 5.0.5 runs fine on iOS 6, but that interface glitch regarding the second row of extra keyboard keys in rich text documents remains. As described in previous posts, this is du to a bug in iOS 6, which we hope will be corrected soon. Our recommended workaround is to turn off those extra keys for rich text documents.