Create and Process Documents
- Create formatted documents (HTML) and use a WYSIWYG editor to produce beautiful documents with font styles, colors, lists, embedded images etc. Use style sheets to define the overall look of a document.
- Create plain text notes if you do not want to care about styles and format. You can always convert them to rich text later.
- Use Markdown tags in plain text documents and convert them to formatted text document later.
- Type your notes and texts, no matter how long they are. If you want, Notebooks counts words or characters for you.
- Define your own sets of extra keyboard keys for quick and easy access to special characters or frequent phrases.
- Use landscape and full-screen modes to maximize screen space and enjoy distraction-free reading and writing.
- Freely assign fonts, colors and backdrops (paper types) to books and individual notes. Notebooks provides a convenient set of colors and paper types, but you are free to define and add your own.
- Convert your documents to PDF. In fact, any document that Notebooks is able to display can be converted to PDF.
- Convert documents or whole hierarchies of documents to eBooks.
- Compile the contents of a book into a single, formatted document.
Organize and Structure Documents
- Store and organize notes in nested books.
- Freely move, rename and restructure your notes and books.
- Sort documents by title, modification, creation date or your custom sort order.
- Find your documents with full text search (plain text, HTML, iWork, Office, RTF and web archives).
- Protect confidential documents with a passcode.
- Use Notebooks’ custom links (URLs) to reference documents or books within Notebooks and across applications.
- Create, organize and manage your task lists.
- Create nested task lists if you want.
- Assign due dates and alarm times to tasks.
- Add a repeat interval to recurring tasks.
- Maintain your reference library of documents that support you with your task management.
- Define contexts and assign them to books, tasks and documents. This helps you find information by context.
- Let Notebooks extract context tags from the body of your documents.
- Split your notes to tasks, or let Notebooks extract tasks from your notes.
- Let Notebooks automatically extract tasks as soon as you finish editing a document.
- Swipe left or right across a document to move to the next or previous document in the book.
- Swipe left or right while editing a document to hide the keyboard.
- Tap a document with two fingers to switch to full-screen mode. Tap again to return to normal view.
- On the iPad, tap a PDF document with two fingers for a more convenient view with thumbnails.
- Pinch or zoom to change the font size of plain text documents.
- On an iPad in landscape orientation, touch and hold a document’s title in the list of documents to open it in split screen mode.
- Import text, HTML, RTF, PDF, MS Office, Apple iWork documents, pictures, websites, web archives, audio files and videos.
- Import iPhone/iPad Notes and Palm Memos.
- Quickly create new documents from the contents of the Pasteboard (text, images, URLs, websites,…). This makes Notebooks your Clipboard Manager.
- Grab web pages directly from Mobile Safari (requires the Notebooks Bookmarklet, available from the import section).
- Use Open in… in other apps to import documents into Notebooks.
- Synchronize Notebooks with Dropbox and your computer in one swoop. This allows you to sync Notebooks across multiple devices like iPhone, iPad, and Notebooks on your Mac or PC.
- Synchronize Notebooks with WebDAV servers .
- Access Notebooks directly from your computer through its built-in WebDAV server.
- Exchange documents with your computer through iTunes’ file sharing.
- Send documents by Mail, or send them to other apps on your device.
- Print documents with AirPrint.
- Use Notebooks as a voice recorder; recording takes place in the background, so you can continue to work on documents and type you written notes at the same time.
- Copy a memo’s link, insert it into a formatted document and you have an embedded audio note.
Sketches (iOS only)
- Notebooks can be your sketchbook and allows you to draw or write with your fingers or an optional stylus.
- You can create a sketch from scratch, or you open an image to paint on.
- Rotate the sketch (or image).
- Use the current paper pattern as background for your sketch.
Integration with other apps
- Print to WePrint (if you have Eurosmartz’ Print, Print & Share or DocPrinter installed).
- Type faster and easier by integrating with TextExpander (if you have that installed).
- Send tasks to OmniFocus, Things, Firetask, Ideabook or Appigo Todo (the applications need to be installed)
Some of the features listed above are not yet available in Notebooks for Mac and Windows, but they will follow step by step.